The creamiest coconut milk turmeric rice, made with warming anti-inflammatory spices and healthy fats! My new favorite side dish. Just wow- I have no way of explaining how delicious (and easy!) this rice is.
There’s no doubt that a diet with lots of anti-inflammatory aspects is beneficial to our health. Inflammation shows up in SO many different ways- from painful periods, to chronic illness, digestive issues, acne, etc. The list goes on!
Turmeric is spice known for its anti-inflammatory properties, when consumed in combination with black pepper. It also adds a really delicious flavor to this creamy rice!
This rice also contains healthy fats from olive oil and coconut milk. Yes, the fats found in coconut are healthy fats and not to be feared! The coconut milk gives this rice the most amazing creamy texture- with a subtle coconut flavor.
This rice dish is reminiscent of a curry dish, but a little more subtle on the flavors (and super easy to make).
It’s packed with green goodness, too- using baby bok choy and baby spinach. Tons of vitamins and minerals in this dish!
This make’s for the most amazing meal prep side dish, or simple dinner side. I love this with some salmon, shrimp, or tofu. SO good!
- It’s important to follow the instructions on the package for the specific rice that you use. I replaced the usual water that I would cook rice in with vegetable broth in this recipe; it adds an extra delicious flavor and I don’t recommend skipping it for water!
- I have only tried this with white Jasmine rice, and I can’t say for sure what results you will get when using a different rice
- Be sure to use a can of full fat coconut milk, not light or from the carton
I’ve been wanting to put this together as a simple recipe for you guys for some time now. I am so excited to get this one on the blog, and I can’t wait to hear what you think!
As a little reminder, leaving a rating and comment below if you make this dish is incredibly helpful to me, and I so appreciate it 🙂 As well as all of your love on Instagram! Thank you all so much. xoxo
Golden creamy coconut rice, made with healthy fats and warming spices!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white jasmine rice*
- 2 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups roughly chopped baby bok choy (for me, this was 1 bunch)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can full fat coconut milk (both watery and creamy parts)
- 2–3 green onions, diced
- Start by cooking the rice. Stir the rice with the vegetable broth in a pot and cook according to directions on the box . (For mine, I had to bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. I then removed from heat and allows to steam for an additional 10 minutes).
- Prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat a large pan with high sides over medium heat.
- Pour in the olive oil, then slightly reduce heat and stir in the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds (be careful not to burn), then stir in bok choy, spinach, and all of the seasonings. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and pour in coconut milk (use the entire can- including the water). Stir and allow to simmer with the vegetables for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, and stir in rice once it is done cooking.
- Stir in green onion and serve!
* I have not tried this with any other type of rice. Liquids may need to be adjusted for different types of rice.