Golden creamy coconut rice, made with healthy fats and warming spices!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white jasmine rice*
- 2 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups roughly chopped baby bok choy (for me, this was 1 bunch)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can full fat coconut milk (both watery and creamy parts)
- 2–3 green onions, diced
- Start by cooking the rice. Stir the rice with the vegetable broth in a pot and cook according to directions on the box . (For mine, I had to bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. I then removed from heat and allows to steam for an additional 10 minutes).
- Prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat a large pan with high sides over medium heat.
- Pour in the olive oil, then slightly reduce heat and stir in the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds (be careful not to burn), then stir in bok choy, spinach, and all of the seasonings. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and pour in coconut milk (use the entire can- including the water). Stir and allow to simmer with the vegetables for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, and stir in rice once it is done cooking.
- Stir in green onion and serve!
* I have not tried this with any other type of rice. Liquids may need to be adjusted for different types of rice.