The best healthy mac and cheese! Made with cauliflower and butternut squash!
- 2 tbsp ghee, butter, or vegan butter
- 1/2 of a yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4–1/3 cup butternut squash puree
- Plain unsweetened dairy free milk as needed, up to 1/2 cup (can sub regular milk)
- 1 lb of your favorite pasta
- Steamed broccoli
- Parmesan for topping
- Chicken, ground turkey, or any protein
- Start by making the sauce. Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Once hot, add ghee or butter and stir in onions. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in minced garlic and allow to cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in the chopped cauliflower.
- Add the vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and pepper to the pot and give everything a good stir. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until cauliflower is fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to directions on box.
- When cauliflower is soft, remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Carefully add everything from the pot for the sauce to a blender, plus the butternut squash puree and 1/4 cup of milk of choice. Blend everything until smooth, and add more milk as needed.
- Mix the sauce with the pasta and any add ins of choice. Top with parmesan (optional) and enjoy!