One of the best meals I’ve had in awhile! This creamy butternut squash and cauliflower mac and cheese sauce is out of this world good!
A sauce made out of veggies? Yes please! And, I swear it tastes cheesy without the cheese! It’s perfectly savory, creamy, and full of flavor. And so nutritious!
So perfect with some pasta shells (I used gluten free) and steamed broccoli. You can toss in any veggies you love, and a protein if you wan it! It’s super versatile, easy to make, and picky eater approved!
This recipe was based off my original baked cauliflower mac and cheese, which I am equally obsessed with! This one skips the baking portion, and has some butternut squash added for a fall twist (plus a nutrient boost and a gorgeous orange color).
This can be kept totally dairy free by using a vegan butter, too! I love the butter flavor that this adds, so I recommend either sticking to regular or dairy free butter (instead of an oil).
I could eat this every day I swear! It would never get old. I know you guys will love this one! xo
Let me know what you think if you make this by leaving a rating and comment below! Thank you so much! 🙂Print
The best healthy mac and cheese! Made with cauliflower and butternut squash!
- 2 tbsp ghee, butter, or vegan butter
- 1/2 of a yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4–1/3 cup butternut squash puree
- Plain unsweetened dairy free milk as needed, up to 1/2 cup (can sub regular milk)
- 1 lb of your favorite pasta
- Steamed broccoli
- Parmesan for topping
- Chicken, ground turkey, or any protein
- Start by making the sauce. Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Once hot, add ghee or butter and stir in onions. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in minced garlic and allow to cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in the chopped cauliflower.
- Add the vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and pepper to the pot and give everything a good stir. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until cauliflower is fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to directions on box.
- When cauliflower is soft, remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Carefully add everything from the pot for the sauce to a blender, plus the butternut squash puree and 1/4 cup of milk of choice. Blend everything until smooth, and add more milk as needed.
- Mix the sauce with the pasta and any add ins of choice. Top with parmesan (optional) and enjoy!