One of the most epic desserts I have ever made. These cooke bars are filled with layers of soft grain free cookie, melty chocolate, and gooey peanut butter. Do I really need to say anymore?
It’s a combo of all the flavor I love. I mean you really can’t go wrong with anything peanut butter and chocolate! Absolute heaven.
The cookie dough is made with almond flour, coconut sugar, and butter or coconut oil. It’s the most delicious gluten and grain free cookie (and dairy free if you need it to be)! The texture of the gooey is soft and cookie, and the top cookie layer gets a tiny bit of a crunch to it for the perfect bite.
The cookie dough is actually based off the grain free peanut butter cup cookies– another blog favorite! The texture of the cookies are so perfect, I knew it would make the perfect base for the cookie layers in these bars.
I took a little break from baking but I’m back! I needed to get some creative energy flowing, and finally found some in these cookie bars that are just layers of heaven. I can’t even explain how delicious these are!! I foresee myself making many more batches of these…I’m obsessed!
I’ve only made this with creamy peanut butter, but I think these cookie bars would be so delicious with crunchy peanut butter, too! I am definitely going to try it that way next time.
As for other substitutes, anything that is not listed in the recipe means I haven’t tested it, so I can’t guarantee results with any substitutes! I always recommend keeping the recipe as written for best results.
I know you guys are going to be addicted to these peanut butter cookies along with me..they’re just to perfect. Plus, they’re super easy to make! The ultimate gluten free, grain free, and dairy free option for any dessert table. And 100% a crowd pleaser! I am so excited for you guys to make these 🙂
Be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see yours, and leave a rating and commend below to help other readers out! It seriously makes my day when I hear from you guys 🙂 Enjoy! xoPrint
Simple grain free peanut butter chocolate layer cookie bars with a dairy free option!
For the cookie dough:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (or sub coconut oil), melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 + 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the chocolate layer
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips, plus more for top layer
For the peanut butter layer
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy will work)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Start by making the cookie dough. Whisk the melted butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla together until smooth. Stir in the almond flour, salt, and baking soda until a dough forms. Press HALF of the dough into the bottom of an 8×8″ baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the dough.
- Set the baking dish in the freezer while you prepare the peanut butter layer. Add the peanut butter and pinch of salt to a small sauce pan and gently melt (alternatively you can melt in the microwave for about 30 seconds or less), until the peanut butter is warm and runny. Remove from heat, stir in the coconut sugar, then allow to cool for a couple minutes.
- Spread the peanut butter mixture over the chocolate chip layer, then sprinkle the remaining cookie dough on top (cover as much surface area as possible). Sprinkle the top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 21-24 minutes, until the edges of the cookie layer are slightly browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes on the counter, then set in the fridge to cool completely before slicing into squares.
- Store leftovers on the counter for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.