Simple grain free peanut butter chocolate layer cookie bars with a dairy free option!
For the cookie dough:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (or sub coconut oil), melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 + 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the chocolate layer
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips, plus more for top layer
For the peanut butter layer
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy will work)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Start by making the cookie dough. Whisk the melted butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla together until smooth. Stir in the almond flour, salt, and baking soda until a dough forms. Press HALF of the dough into the bottom of an 8×8″ baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the dough.
- Set the baking dish in the freezer while you prepare the peanut butter layer. Add the peanut butter and pinch of salt to a small sauce pan and gently melt (alternatively you can melt in the microwave for about 30 seconds or less), until the peanut butter is warm and runny. Remove from heat, stir in the coconut sugar, then allow to cool for a couple minutes.
- Spread the peanut butter mixture over the chocolate chip layer, then sprinkle the remaining cookie dough on top (cover as much surface area as possible). Sprinkle the top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 21-24 minutes, until the edges of the cookie layer are slightly browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes on the counter, then set in the fridge to cool completely before slicing into squares.
- Store leftovers on the counter for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.