Two killer recipes in one- this combo is without a doubt one of my all time favorites! We’ve got a superrr simple chicken chili that’s actually loaded with hidden veggies, and a soft yet dense gluten free pumpkin cornbread. The smells that will be going on in your kitchen with this one are enough reason to make it!
Both recipes are easy to make, and both the chili and cornbread are amazing days 1,2, and 3- so it’s a great meal prep option if that’s what you’re looking for! But we also love to make this for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner. The first time Blake and I share this meal we both gasped at how delicious the combo was. Cozy Fall heaven!
I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour and organic corn meal for this recipe (not sponsored).
Can I make this in a cast iron skillet?
Yes! If you don’t have a pie dish, you could make this in a 9-inch cast iron skillet or cake dish and it will work just fine!
Just make sure to smother that cornbread in grass fed butter if you know what’s good for you!Print
Simple chicken chili loaded with veggies for a protein and fiber-packed cozy meal!
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into small pieces
- 1 lb ground chicken (ground turkey will work)
- 2–3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- dash of cayenne (optional)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bag of frozen riced cauliflower
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. once hot, add avocado oil and stir in onion and garlic. cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper and zucchini. cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken, sea salt, and all other seasonings, and break up into small pieces and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour in cauliflower rice, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth. stir and bring back to bubbling, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and/or spice level.
Perfectly soft + dense gluten free pumpkin cornbread, perfect for dipping in your chili!
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup grass fed butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F and generously butter a 9” pie dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin, eggs, coconut sugar, butter, and milk of choice.
- In a separate bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until a smooth batter forms. Pour into pie dish and use a spatula to evenly smooth the batter out.
- Bake for 30 minute, or until a toothpick comes out clean. allow to cool before slicing to avoid falling apart. Serve with butter and honey (optional).