Dairy free, gluten free, and paleo-friendly BBQ or buffalo chicken nachos!
For the queso
- 1 heaping cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 1 hour and drained*
- 1 (4 oz) can of green chiles
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2–1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 can diced tomatoes with chiles, drained
- Optional: cayenne for extra spice
For the nachos
- ~16 oz bag of your favorite tortilla chips (or more, see note**)
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 3/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (can sub buffalo instead)
- Cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
Optional add ins:
- Thinly sliced shallot or red onion
- Fresh spinach, roughly chopped for topping
- Pickled jalapeños
- Tomatoes, diced
- Soak your cashews in boiling water, covered, for 1 hour (or soak them uncovered in cool water over night). Drain and rinse, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix your chicken with your BBQ sauce. In your desired baking dish, spread a layer of tortilla chips. Sprinkle your chicken, black beans, and thinly sliced shallot or red onion (if using) on top, then repeat with another layer of chips and so forth. (Alternatively, you could do 1-2 layers on a large baking sheet). You can make as much or as little nachos as you’d like.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, until chicken is heated through.
- While nachos are in the oven, add all queso ingredients BESIDES the drained tomatoes and chiles to your blender. Blend for about a minute, until super smooth. Pour queso into a bowl or jar, then stir in 1/3 of the can of drained tomatoes and chiles. If desired, you can add more of the tomatoes. Taste, and stir in cayenne if you want it spicier or more salt if needed.
- Pour a generous amount of queso over the nachos, add your desired toppings, serve and enjoy!
*You can also soak the cashews overnight in cold water. If you don’t have a high speed blender, I recommend this method!
**You don’t have to use the whole bag, or you can use two bags. I made a smaller batch of nachos and had leftover queso to use later on!
Amazing!! Made as a Memorial Day weekend appetizer and everyone loved! My dad had no idea it was dairy free. A new party staple for sure!
So yum!! I made the queso by itself and it seriously tastes like cheese. I love it so much and will definitely be making it again!!
I’m allergic cashews. Can I sub a different nut or anything else? These sound so yummy
I made the queso by itself and dipped the nachos in it & I absolutely love it!! I’ve been making it every week!!
I will absolutely be making this again! I made the queso + nachos for my two best friends, one who is a vegetarian and dairy free. I left out the chicken and we cleaned the whole plate. I didn’t even notice the queso was dairy free.
This queso is AMAZING!! I literally was shook when I took my first bite. I cannot even tell that this is dairy free and even pulled up the recipe again to make sure I read it all right because it really is that good. if you are questioning whether you should make this recipe or not…. This is your sign to full send it
Where can I find the nutrition information for this? Can’t wait to make it! 🙂