Gluten free and vegan jalapeño poppers! The perfect appetizer or side dish!
- 12 jalapeños, sliced in half with membranes and seeds removed
- Cooking spray (I use avocado oil spray)
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese (or sub regular cream cheese if you don’t need these to be vegan), softened
- 4 green onions, diced (green part only)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 heaping cup crushed tortilla chip crumbs (measure after crushing; recommend pulsing in a blender)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pizza sauce (optional)
- Ranch (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking dish with parchment paper.
- Set cream cheese out on counter to soften, then wash and slice your jalapeños. You can remove the stem or leave them, and use a small spoon to scoop out all of the membrane and seeds. Be sure to really clean out the inside of the pepper with the spoon, or they will be super spicy! *Be careful to not touch your eyes or face when handling the jalapeños and wash your hands well after!
- Lay the jalapeños facing down on the parchment paper and lightly spray the backs of each pepper with cooking spray, then flip them back over with hollow side facing up.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese with the green onion, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and all of the seasonings until well combined.
- Scoop a spoonful of the cream cheese filling into each pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the tortilla chip crumbs with 1 tsp of olive oil, then sprinkle over the filling of each pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until peppers are soft (I baked mine for 30).
- Serve with dips of choice (optional- they are great on their own as well). Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the oven!