Dairy free and gluten free cheesy scalloped potatoes. It doesn’t get much better than this! Say hello to your new favorite side dish!
Plant-based comfort food will never get old to me. These are my favorite types of recipes to make for you all- healthier spins on the classics we loved growing up!
Scalloped potatoes were my all time favorite side when I was younger! I’ve been wanting to create a healthier version of them for a long time, but I was nervous it would be too tricky of a recipe. I couldn’t have been more wrong!!
It’s made with the easiest cashew-based sauce that I blend up in my Vitamix in a minute or less, then you just have to prep the potatoes and onion, layer it all up, and let it bake! It’s truly so simple, and so so delicious.
The potatoes get perfectly soft, and the onions get cooked down nice and soft as well and add an extra flavor. If you are not a fan of onions, you could probably skip them (although I haven’t tested this myself). However, they add a lot of flavor so I would add some onion powder to the cashew sauce mix!
Make sure to let this bake alll the way- you want the potatoes to be super fork tender!
I love to finish mine off with some fresh chives and extra black pepper. Simple and perfect!
This is the most perfect healthier side dish to bring to your holiday tables. Everyone will devour these- I promise!
I am so excited to hear what you think if you make these scalloped potatoes for the holidays this year (or just any dinner, really!). Be sure to leave a rating and comment below if you make these; it’s so helpful for me and other readers 🙂 Sending love to you all! xoPrint
The best every vegan and gluten free “cheesy” scalloped potatoes!
For the vegan cheese sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes*
- 2 cups oat milk (or dairy free milk of choice, see note**)
- 1 + ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 + ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 + 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric
For the rest:
- 3 lb potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8″ thick)
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- Fresh chives for topping (optional)
- Allow the cashews to soak in hot water for 15 minutes, then drain. Add cashews to your Vitamix with all other cheese sauce ingredients. Blend until super smooth. Note: the sauce will be thin but will thicken up in the oven!
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9×13” baking dish.
- Thinly slice your onion, then peel and slice your potatoes in 1/8” thick coins. (Thicker potatoes will result in a longer bake time).
- Lay half of your potatoes out in your greased baking dish (it’s ok to stack some) along with half of the onion. Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes and onions, then repeat with the remaining potatoes/onions/sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover, then bake for an addition 20-30 minutes, until top is slightly browned and potatoes are fork tender.
- Top with fresh chives (optional) and serve. Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*If you are not using a high speed blender like the Vitamix, you will need to soak the cashews overnight!
**Be sure to choose a dairy free milk that is completely unflavored and unsweetened. I find almond milks to have a more distinct and sweet flavor, which is why I like oat milk for this recipe!