The most perfect soft and chewy gluten free snickerdoodle cookies! Grain free, easy to make, and full of that classic buttery cinnamon sugar flavor. I am obsessed!
It’s always hard for me to choose…but I think these are one of my new favorite cookie recipes on the blog. Especially for winter and the holidays! Snickerdoodles are such a classic cookie- they never get old! Now you can enjoy them gluten free and refined sugar free!
Something about these cookies just takes you immediately back to childhood with your first bite. So nostalgic, and so SO delicious.
The soft and chewy texture is spot on. Honestly, you would never know these are gluten and grain free. That’s always my goal! It’s gotta taste like the real deal 🙂
Snickerdoodle cookies have a signature slight tang to them. I created this using apple cider vinegar. It’s a pantry staple for me and easy to get your hands on!
The cinnamon sugar coating is made with coconut sugar. This gives them a very slightly darker appearance than the original style of snickerdoodles, but it keeps them refined sugar free. If you want to use regular sugar, though, you definitely can!
Can I use a different flour?
If you want the same results as mine, you will have to stick with almond flour! There is not a great 1:1 sub out there for almond flour, so I really recommend keeping the recipe as is! Otherwise, you can experiment at your own risk!
Can I make these dairy free?
The butter in the cookies realllly adds to the classic snickerdoodle flavor. I wouldn’t recommend any subs. If you have a vegan butter that you love and find tastes just like regular butter, then go for it! I have only tried making these with regular (grass fed) butter.
This snickerdoodle recipe is super simple and straight forward. It’s the perfect holiday treat to make this winter! Enjoy some after dinner, or with a cup of afternoon coffee (my favorite)! I am SO excited to hear what you guys think of these!
As always, it means so so much to me if you could leave a rating and comment if you make these! Tagging me on Instagram with a photo of your creations also makes my day, too :). Thank you so much for your constant support and love!
The best gluten free + paleo-friendly snickerdoodle cookies! Easy to make, so delicious, and refined sugar free!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 + 3/4 cups almond flour*
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub regular sugar)
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (you may end up needing 2 baking sheets).
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the coating and set aside (I like to do this in a small bowl, then transfer to a large plate for rolling the dough in the mixture later).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, coconut sugar, egg, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar until smooth.
- Stir in the almond flour, sea salt, and baking soda until a smooth dough forms (it may take a minute).
- Scoop the dough out about 1 tbsp at a time, and roll in your hands to create a ball. (Mixture will make 22-24 cookies in total)
- Roll each ball of dough in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then set on the baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart. You may run out of space and need a second baking sheet.
- Slightly press each ball of dough down with your hands (they will continue to spread in the oven, so only press them about 1/2 way down).
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. They will be soft and may even look a little wet still when you take them out- they will continue to set as they cool! Allow to cool for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days.
*Please note I have not tested these with any other type of flour. For best results I highly recommend keeping the recipe as written!