The buffalo version of my paleo chicken nugget tray bake is here! I am buffalo obsessed currently, and new I had to put this spin on this meal!
Honestly making this meal (and enjoying it) was such a perfect distraction from everything going on and all the noise out there. I have been doing my best to spread positive energy throughout the madness (thank you for all of the love on Instagram), while also sharing important tips and facts. However, today I just needed a major break. So into the kitchen I went!
I am officially self-quarantined to help flatten the curve. However, yesterday I needed some essentials so I headed to the store and was able to grab everything for this recipe. Contrary to how scary the internet is making the stores seem, it was actually very calm and pretty well stocked. Yes, some items were gone. But there was plenty of delicious and healthy food to buy. No need to panic or hoard!
Anyways, this buffalo tray bake is about to be a new favorite for us. Paired with some vegan ranch and enjoyed on a bed of spinach- we were in heaven eating this!
For buffalo sauce, I look for ones with super simple ingredients. Luckily you can usually find one or two options in the stores these days made with healthier ingredients!
I personally love cauliflower with buffalo, but you can definitely sub broccoli if that’s what you’ve got or what you’re craving!
Top with some fresh chives or fresh parsley if you have some on hand to use up for a pop of color and a little flavor addition!
I’m excited for you all to try this one 🙂 Enjoy and stay healthy! xxPrint
Baked paleo buffalo chicken nuggets and cauliflower!
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER
- 1 (small-ish) head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Black pepper, to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN NUGGETS
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast, cut into “nuggets”
- 2 eggs
- 1 + 1/4 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Dash of cayenne
- Black pepper, to taste
- Oil spray, for the baking sheet
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce of choice
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with avocado or coconut oil spray to grease.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour and the seasonings for the chicken nuggets. Set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Toss the florets in a large bowl with the olive oil, then toss again with all of the seasonings. Transfer to the bottom half of the baking sheet.
- In the bowl that you tossed the cauliflower in, whisk the eggs for the chicken.
- Dip each chicken nugget in the egg, allowing excess to drip off, then dredge in the almond flour mixture and lay them out on the top half of the baking sheet. *Try to use one hand for the egg wash and 1 hand for the almond flour mixture, to avoid the almond flour mixture getting lumpy.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully flip each chicken nugget and gently toss the cauliflower, then return to oven for another 12-16 minutes, until nuggets are slightly browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven, then toss nuggets with buffalo sauce in a large bowl until well coated. I then like to pop everything back in the oven for a minute or 2 to get the sauces heated through.