It’s finally here! The lentil taco filling we’ve been making weekly.
This is basically a two-for-one recipe. You can make these insanely delicious crispy tacos, or you can use the lentil taco filling for any recipe you want! Think taco bowls, taco salads, healthy nachos, etc. The filling is so flavorful and SO easy.
All you need:
- Cooked lentils
- Riced cauliflower
- Crushed tomatoes
- Taco seasoning packet (I love this one)
That’s it! It’s a simple, no-fuss dinner staple.
I’ve been showing this taco filling on my stories for awhile now, and I know I’ve been promising to make it into an actual recipe. So now you guys can try it too!
Now for this crispy taco situation…wow. Honestly tastes like restaurant-style tacos at home. I am so obsessed! They get quickly baked (just 10 minutes), and you end up with perfectly crispy tacos. Pair it with your favorite toppings and your set!
Huge bonus that the taco filling itself sneaks in veggies and fiber, plus plant-based protein.
I really can’t wait for you guys to get your hands on this recipe! Be sure to leave a rating below if you try these, and tag me on Instagram so I can see :)!
Stay healthy friends! xoPrint
Vegetarian (and vegan friendly) lentil and cauliflower rice crispy oven baked tacos!
For the Taco Filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 shallot, finely diced
- 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes, more if needed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (15 oz) can of cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- ~1/2 bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Tortillas (cassava flour, almond flour, or regular flour)
- 1/2 slice of cheese per taco (vegan or regular, optional)
- Optional toppings: lettuce, baby spinach, avocado, salsa, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a large deep skillet over medium heat. Stir in olive oil, garlic, and shallot. Cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
- Slightly reduce heat, then stir in crushed tomatoes, water, lentils, cauliflower rice, and taco seasonings. Break up frozen cauliflower rice and stir until everything is well combined.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. If you want mixture to be a bit saucier, add an extra splash of the crushed tomatoes.
- Remove lentil mixture from heat and prepare the taco shells by gently heating each one over the stove or in the microwave until just soft.
- Place 1/2 square of cheese in each shell (optional), then scoop about 1/4 cup of the lentil mixture in each taco. Fold the taco shells over the mixture and gently press.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flipping each taco half-way through. Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!