20 minute dinner brought to you by this insanely delicious and easy paleo orange chicken! A simple sauce with no sugar added, paired with juicy chicken and crunchy cashews.
Happy Wednesday! Every day this month feels super jam packed, so I’m resorting to all my favorite super simple meals! This orange chicken comes from a recipe on my old site, with just a few tweaks to make it even better than before! It’s one of those meals where you’re like “wait…how is something this easy SO good!?” And healthy 😉
The sauce is made from healthy, simple ingredients:
- Coconut aminos
- Juice of an orange
- Rice Vinegar
- Tomato paste
- Sesame oil
- Red pepper flakes
The chicken gets coated in tapioca flour (or starch; you can sub arrowroot starch here!), then sautéed quickly before simmering in the delicious sauce with the cashews. Don’t skip the tapioca (or arrowroot), as it helps to thicken the sauce!
You honestly won’t believe there is no sugar added to this sauce! It’s got the most perfect natural sweetness, and SO much flavor. I’m in love!
We love to pair this with jasmine rice. I make mine in the Instant Pot in 5 minutes, then toss in some steamed broccoli!
Making rice in the Instant Pot:
What you need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- sea salt (optional)
Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot with a quick stir. Lock the lid in place, then set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on HIGH for 5 minutes. Once the timer goes off for the 5 minutes, allow to sit and naturally release pressure for 5 minutes. Press the pressure release button to release any remaining pressure, then serve!
The Instant pot I have is linked here. I love it so much, especially for basic meal additions like this rice!
I am so excited for you guys to try this easy 20 minute dinner! This will totally be a new staple for you if you’re forever obsessed with takeout style meals like me!
Super simple no sugar added orange cashew chicken!
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger or 1 inch piece of fresh ginger minced
- Few good cracks of black pepper
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
For the chicken:
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
For garnish: chives or green onion, sesame seeds
- Whisk all ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the tapioca starch until evenly coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the avocado oil, then stir in the chicken and season with 1/2 tsp sea salt. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through (about 9-12 minutes).
- Add the sauce and cashews. Reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer until sauce slightly thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Serve with fresh chives and sesame seeds (optional).