Gluten free and vegan sweet chili tofu. The perfect balance of sweet and spicy, with the best flavor ever!
The sweet and sticky sauce is gluten free and vegan, while also being lower in sugar than one you might find in a restaurant! I made this recipe an Asian-inspired recipe after having something similar from the Whole Foods hot bar (definitely not the most authentic, but it was so addicting I had to recreate)!
I wanted to make a healthier spin on this tofu dish for an easy weeknight dinner to have in your back pocket! The sauce used coconut aminos for a gluten free version (also helps to cut down on the sodium). It’s also made with coconut sugar for a vegan and refined sugar free option! Although, you can substitute with any granulated sugar you have on hand!
I packed this recipe with peppers, onions, and spinach for tons of nutrients added in. Serve over seasoned rice (or cauliflower rice) and you’re set with a perfect meal! So simple, delicious, and filling.
Everything essentially gets cooked in the same pan, making the cooking process simple and the clean up to a minimum! I definitely foresee myself making this recipe all the time- I’m sure I’ll have the sauce recipe memorized in no time haha!
The sauce is super simple to make. It sort of reminds me of the famous orange cashew tofu or chicken sauce from the blog! With a few exceptions, it used super similar ingredients to that recipe! If you haven’t made that recipe yet, you definitely need to make it ASAP! Another dinner staple in our home!
It’s recipes like this and the orange cashew tofu that converted my husband to a tofu lover! It’s a fun way to add ore plant-based dinners to your rotation!
I am so excited for you guys to try out this new tofu favorite! I know you will love this sweet chili tofu- the flavor is unmatched and it couldn’t be easier to make! Be sure to leave a rating and comment below if you give this one a try! And, as always, tag me on Instagram so I can see your remakes! It truly makes my day!! 🙂Print
Sweet chili tofu, peppers, and onions. With a super simple gluten free and vegan sweet and sticky sauce!
For the sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub regular sugar)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek Chilli Paste (I also like this option)*
- 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp tapioca starch, cornstarch, OR arrowroot starch
- Optional for extra spice: pinch of red pepper flakes
For the tofu:
- 10–14 oz of extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch, cornstarch, OR arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (for the pan)
For the veggies
- 1 + 1/2 bell peppers
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Prep your veggies. I like to cut the peppers and onions into larger chunks for this recipe (see photos), but you can cut them as big or small as you like!
- Make the sauce by whisking all ingredients together. Set aside.
- Toss your tofu with the starch, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and salt and pepper until well-coated.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with the avocado oil. Once hot, add tofu and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another splash of oil and stir in your peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until onions are mostly translucent.
- Pour your sauce over the veggies and reduce heat. Allow to thicken for 1 minute, stirring occasionally, then stir in your baby spinach and add your tofu back in. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
*In a pinch, you can sub sriracha but I prefer the chili paste