Sweet chili tofu, peppers, and onions. With a super simple gluten free and vegan sweet and sticky sauce!
For the sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub regular sugar)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek Chilli Paste (I also like this option)*
- 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp tapioca starch, cornstarch, OR arrowroot starch
- Optional for extra spice: pinch of red pepper flakes
For the tofu:
- 10–14 oz of extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch, cornstarch, OR arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (for the pan)
For the veggies
- 1 + 1/2 bell peppers
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Prep your veggies. I like to cut the peppers and onions into larger chunks for this recipe (see photos), but you can cut them as big or small as you like!
- Make the sauce by whisking all ingredients together. Set aside.
- Toss your tofu with the starch, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and salt and pepper until well-coated.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with the avocado oil. Once hot, add tofu and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another splash of oil and stir in your peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until onions are mostly translucent.
- Pour your sauce over the veggies and reduce heat. Allow to thicken for 1 minute, stirring occasionally, then stir in your baby spinach and add your tofu back in. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
*In a pinch, you can sub sriracha but I prefer the chili paste