Gooey s’mores bars with a walnut oat cookie crust!
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)
- 1/3–1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add oats, walnuts, and sea salt to a food processor. Pulse for 15-20 seconds, until a meal forms.
- While processor is still on, pour in maple syrup and avocado oil. Process until a smooth dough forms. This should take 1 minute or less.
- Spread dough onto an 8×8 square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Be patient- it will take a minute or so to spread the batter evenly. Tip: make sure to keep an inch or 2 of space between the edges of the baking dish the batter so that the bars are not spread too thin. I use a small spatula to shape the dough into a square about 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, then layer with marshmallows. Bake for 12 minutes, then turn broil on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds or less– be sure to keep a close eye on it as the marshmallows can quickly burn!
- Lift parchment paper up to remove bars from the baking dish and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to completely cool, then slice into 12 squares. Note: if you don’t allow the bars to cool before slicing, they will be very fragile!
Oooo I can not WAIT to make these tomorrow morning for xmas goodies! 🙂 I have been craving “smores” so much lately! Will coconut oil work instead of the avocado oil? I don’t have any avo on hand…let me know 🙂 Thank you!!
Hi Selena! This will be so perfect for Christmas! You should be fine using melted coconut oil!
Made them for Christmas and they turned out incredible!! The melted coconut oil worked great too 🙂 Thank you!!
Thank you Selena! So glad they turned out well 🙂
These are currently my go-to weeknight dessert!! This recipe is perfection! 🙂
THE BEST! One of my fav GF desserts ever
Thank you so much! This will always be one of my faves too! 🙂
Obsessed with this dessert! Whenever I have people over I able to whip them up and cook them as we’re cleaning up dinner. It is always a hit!
Hi! Is it possible to make these without the walnuts and substitute them for something else ? My boyfriend is allergic to all nuts except almonds but I want to try and make these for him ????
Hey girl! I have not tried them with any other nut, so I can’t say for sure! You could try almonds, but the texture and taste may be a little different!
one of my new favorite treats!
Such a great and easy recipe. I typically make for weekly meal prep for my sweet treat! I’ve made them for potlucks or parties and always a hit!
Do you think steel cut oats would work?
I don’t recommend it for texture!
Do you use vegan chocolate?!
Yes any dairy free chocolate chips will work!
Do you add how many calories these items have by chance?
Btw I just made them and they are delicious!!
So easy & taste amazing!! Make these all the time and never get tired of them.
So yummy and easy!