Gooey s’mores bars with a walnut oat cookie crust!
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)
- 1/3–1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add oats, walnuts, and sea salt to a food processor. Pulse for 15-20 seconds, until a meal forms.
- While processor is still on, pour in maple syrup and avocado oil. Process until a smooth dough forms. This should take 1 minute or less.
- Spread dough onto an 8×8 square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Be patient- it will take a minute or so to spread the batter evenly. Tip: make sure to keep an inch or 2 of space between the edges of the baking dish the batter so that the bars are not spread too thin. I use a small spatula to shape the dough into a square about 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, then layer with marshmallows. Bake for 12 minutes, then turn broil on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds or less– be sure to keep a close eye on it as the marshmallows can quickly burn!
- Lift parchment paper up to remove bars from the baking dish and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to completely cool, then slice into 12 squares. Note: if you don’t allow the bars to cool before slicing, they will be very fragile!