The most amazing gluten free + vegan s’mores bars!
These are a spin on my classic walnut oat bars– one of my all time favorite recipes! I used it for the cookie base, because they have the most perfect flavor! Plus, they’re so easy to make (it only takes about 10 minutes to prep these!)
These are the perfect little winter time treat! I use these marshmallows, because they have better ingredients than your classic marshmallow(still considered a treat, but at least it’s an improvement on the corn-syrup loaded ones!).
These bars are gluten free, vegan, and made with only simple ingredients. Just the way I like to satisfy my sweet tooth!
- Make sure to allow these bars to cool before slicing, or they will fall apart!
- The broil step is essential to get those toasty marshmallows, but you have to keep your eye on them. They can quickly burn!
- I have not tried these bars with any other nuts, and don’t recommend making substitutions!
- You can use chocolate chips or some roughly chopped chocolate bars– either will work!
Make these for all of your holiday cookie exchanges, work parties, or family gatherings. Absolutely everyone will love them!Print
Gooey s’mores bars with a walnut oat cookie crust!
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3–1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add oats, walnuts, and sea salt to a food processor. Pulse for 15-20 seconds, until a meal forms.
- While processor is still on, pour in maple syrup and avocado oil. Process until a smooth dough forms. This should take 1 minute or less.
- Spread dough onto an 8×8 square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Be patient- it will take a minute or so to spread the batter evenly. Tip: make sure to keep an inch or 2 of space between the edges of the baking dish the batter so that the bars are not spread too thin. I use a small spatula to shape the dough into a square about 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, then layer with marshmallows. Bake for 12 minutes, then turn broil on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds or less– be sure to keep a close eye on it as the marshmallows can quickly burn!
- Lift parchment paper up to remove bars from the baking dish and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to completely cool, then slice into 12 squares. Note: if you don’t allow the bars to cool before slicing, they will be very fragile!