Simple paleo chicken chili topped with fluffy almond flour biscuits! Note, this dish is best served fresh. Alternatively, you can make the biscuits and chili separate (allow to chili to simmer 35 minutes that way).
For the chili:
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into small pieces
- 1 lb ground chicken (ground turkey will work)
- 2–3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- dash of cayenne (optional)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bag of frozen riced cauliflower
- sea salt, to taste
For the biscuit topping:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled (can sub ghee)
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk of choice
- Optional: shredded cheese for topping
- Start by making the chili. Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. once hot, add avocado oil and stir in onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken, sea salt, and all other seasonings, and break up into small pieces and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour in cauliflower rice, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth. stir and bring back to bubbling, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes minutes.
- While chili is cooking, make the biscuits. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine dry ingredients, then pour in wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- After chili simmers for 25 minutes, transfer to a 9×13 baking dish (can use a pie dish instead). Use a cookie scoop to scoop biscuits on top of the chili (biscuits can be touching). Top with shredded cheese (optional), then bake for 15 minutes and serve. Note, this dish is best served fresh!