Vegetarian (and vegan friendly) lentil and cauliflower rice crispy oven baked tacos!
For the Taco Filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 shallot, finely diced
- 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes, more if needed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (15 oz) can of cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- ~1/2 bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Tortillas (cassava flour, almond flour, or regular flour)
- 1/2 slice of cheese per taco (vegan or regular, optional)
- Optional toppings: lettuce, baby spinach, avocado, salsa, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a large deep skillet over medium heat. Stir in olive oil, garlic, and shallot. Cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
- Slightly reduce heat, then stir in crushed tomatoes, water, lentils, cauliflower rice, and taco seasonings. Break up frozen cauliflower rice and stir until everything is well combined.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. If you want mixture to be a bit saucier, add an extra splash of the crushed tomatoes.
- Remove lentil mixture from heat and prepare the taco shells by gently heating each one over the stove or in the microwave until just soft.
- Place 1/2 square of cheese in each shell (optional), then scoop about 1/4 cup of the lentil mixture in each taco. Fold the taco shells over the mixture and gently press.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flipping each taco half-way through. Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!