Super creamy vegan potato soup with a subtle smoky flavor and loaded with potatoes- it will leave you feeling like you’re eating the real deal!
I am so excited to share this cream vegan potato soup! Made creamy with cashews and a quick blending of some of the soup- the texture is out of this world!
I added smoked paprika to slightly mimic the taste of bacon or sausage that may be in a regular creamy soup. I also added nutritional yeast for a almost cheesy flavor. All of the spices and textures are so perfect together- even a meat lover would love this soup!
Something about this soup gives my nostalgic and cozy diner vibes. I see myself making this soup alllll winter long!
The best part is (besides how insanely delicious this soup is), is that it is so easy to make! Not too much chopping, not a long wait time, and just a short list of ingredients.
Also, as long as you have a high speed blender, no soaking of the cashews required! Yes please!
I am seriously so excited for you guys to make this soup! It’s the perfect plant-based bowl of cozy to make all Fall and Winter long.
Be sure to let me know if you give this creamy vegan potato soup a try 🙂 I love hearing from you all! Enjoy! xoPrint
The best creamy vegan potato soup. An amazing dairy free, gluten free, and paleo-friendly meal!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small or medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt (more to taste)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (sea note about soaking)*
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped and stems removed
- Water, as needed
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Once hot, add the olive oil and slightly reduce the heat.
- Stir in onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cubed potatoes, then all of the seasonings, then 3 cups of vegetable broth (be sure to set aside 1 cup of the veggie broth for later). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes (until the potatoes are fork tender).
- Meanwhile, blend the cashews with 1 cup of vegetable broth until very smooth.
- When potatoes are fork tender, stir in the cashew cream. Using an immersion blender or your blender, blend about half or so of the soup until smooth and creamy, leaving some chunks of potatoes (as much or as little as you would like).
- Reduce heat to low, stir in the kale, and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes. If soup is thicker than desired, stir in a little water at time until desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
*As long as you have a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix, you do not need to soak the cashews! If your blender isn’t very powerful, soak the cashews for at least 4 hours.