Creamy Vegan and Paleo Friendly Mushroom Spaghetti Squash. Simple, healthy, and flavorful! Plus, Instant Pot spaghetti squash instructions!
- 1 small spaghetti squash*
For the Sauce
- 1 tbsp butter (sub vegan butter or olive oil for dairy free)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry white wine**, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup plain unsweetened dairy free creamer (I prefer this one for this recipe)
- 1/4 cup dairy free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- First, cook your spaghetti squash. For the Instant pot, slice your spaghetti squash in half, add 1 cup of water to your instant pot and the steamer insert. Place spaghetti squash on the insert, secure the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is closed, then set to Pressure Cook on High for 8 minutes. Allow steam to release naturally for 5-10 minutes, then release remaining pressure and remove spaghetti squash. Shred with a fork and set aside. (For the oven, slice in half and drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 400°F until tender, 35-45 minutes).
- To make the sauce, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Slightly reduce heat and stir in olive oil and garlic, then add the sliced mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper; give everything a good stir. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and cooked to your liking.
- Pour in wine and allow to cook down for 3 minutes. Stir in creamer, cream cheese, and broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, and allow sauce to simmer and thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and stir in cooked spaghetti squash. If your squash is larger, start with half of the squash and add more until the sauce to spaghetti squash ratio is to your liking.
- Remove from heat, top with vegan parmesan, and enjoy!
*You can easily sub regular spaghetti or any pasta you have on hand! Start with enough pasta for 2, and add more noodles as needed until sauce to noodle ratio is perfect!
**You can sub more broth in place of wine if you prefer not to cook with wine. However this will slightly change the taste as the wine adds a lovely flavor.
Delicious! ???? Our family loved this.
Was delicious, but how did you get your spaghetti squash not to mush in with the sauce?
Hi Noa, did you make it in the Instant Pot? Mine is usually just cooked perfectly enough to not get mushy! Be careful not to overcook your squash 🙂
Amazingly creamy and delish!! Would do again and again!
Hi! The link to the creamer is not working, which one is that you you use?? Thank you 🙂
I like to use the plain nut pods!
This was so good!! Instead of using the vegan substitutes I used real butter, heavy cream, and regular cream cheese and it still came out great!! I will definitely be making this again.
This was really tasty. I didn’t have creamer on hand so I used almond milk and sprinkled in some flour in the last few minutes. It thickened up nicely!
I cannot say enough good things about this recipe!! Such a beautiful flavor, similar to stroganoff almost, like I remember from my childhood. So creamy & hearty; I served with spaghetti squash, added spinach & mixed in cooked shrimp which paired wonderfully while adding extra protein! A family favorite for sure!!
the flavor in this recipe was so good! I would recommend this recipe for anyone who is dairy free like me. I took another user’s suggestion and added shrimp (trader Joe’s Argentinian shrimp for the best flavor) and spinach and it added a really nice touch. Thanks so much for all of your yummy DF recipes!
Love this recipe! So incredible!! Want to make it again today and have everything except the cream cheese ????♀️. Is there any reasonable subs? Cottage cheese, full fat yogurt or sour cream? Literally have all of those ????????
Sour cream or full fat yogurt would probably work- but the sauce will have a bit different taste and may turn out a little thinner! I haven’t tried it!
What should I do if I don’t have an Instant Pot? I’d love to make it because it looks sooo delicious!!
Can you suggest some dairy free cream cheese brands for this? I’ve never had it and I’m struggling to find some.
Kite Hill is my fave!
anything to use instead of wine?
This was perfect! Trying to add more mushrooms into my life and this was a great way to do so! I used reg pasta and added peas.
Sustituted avacado for creamer, also added a little sour cream
This reminded me so much of the beef stroganoff my mom made us as a kid. I did make a few substitutions: beef bone broth instead of vegetable, added shredded steak, and served with egg noodles instead of spaghetti squash. So good!
Is there anything that could be substituted for the wine? If not then that’s alright! Just curious is all! 🙂