Creamy Vegan and Paleo Friendly Mushroom Spaghetti Squash. Simple, healthy, and flavorful! Plus, Instant Pot spaghetti squash instructions!
- 1 small spaghetti squash*
For the Sauce
- 1 tbsp butter (sub vegan butter or olive oil for dairy free)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry white wine**, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup plain unsweetened dairy free creamer (I prefer this one for this recipe)
- 1/4 cup dairy free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- First, cook your spaghetti squash. For the Instant pot, slice your spaghetti squash in half, add 1 cup of water to your instant pot and the steamer insert. Place spaghetti squash on the insert, secure the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is closed, then set to Pressure Cook on High for 8 minutes. Allow steam to release naturally for 5-10 minutes, then release remaining pressure and remove spaghetti squash. Shred with a fork and set aside. (For the oven, slice in half and drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 400°F until tender, 35-45 minutes).
- To make the sauce, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Slightly reduce heat and stir in olive oil and garlic, then add the sliced mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper; give everything a good stir. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and cooked to your liking.
- Pour in wine and allow to cook down for 3 minutes. Stir in creamer, cream cheese, and broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, and allow sauce to simmer and thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and stir in cooked spaghetti squash. If your squash is larger, start with half of the squash and add more until the sauce to spaghetti squash ratio is to your liking.
- Remove from heat, top with vegan parmesan, and enjoy!
*You can easily sub regular spaghetti or any pasta you have on hand! Start with enough pasta for 2, and add more noodles as needed until sauce to noodle ratio is perfect!
**You can sub more broth in place of wine if you prefer not to cook with wine. However this will slightly change the taste as the wine adds a lovely flavor.