Never will I ever stop loving this super creamy, full of flavor, out of this world creamy tomato sauce.
What makes it creamy? Avocado! A healthy base for a creamy sauce that adds tons of nutrients and healthy fats. A few of you have reached out telling me “this tastes like it has heavy cream in it!”. Another message I get is “my picky child (or husband) loves this sauce!” It’s that good- and that creamy. I’m all about sneaking in extra veggies where we can, and this sauce is a perfect way to do it.
The best part is, it’s incredibly simple to make. it’s an easy work lunch to whip up, or a simple cozy dinner at home. I load mine up with tons of veggies, and you can also add your favorite protein.
I also created a vegan “parmesan” to sprinkle over this pasta- and your entire life. So delicious. You can find both the sauce and the vegan parm recipes below!
Out of this world creamy vegan tomato pasta Made with avocado- you’d never know its vegan! Plus a deliciously savory vegan parmesan sprinkle!
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes , or jarred marinara will work
- 1/4 cup high quality olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp italian seasoning (1.5 tsp if using jarred marinara)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 of a large avocado
- salt + pepper, to taste
- optional: red pepper flakes
for vegan parmesan sprinkle:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. To make the vegan parmesan, pulse all ingredients in a food processor until a fine crumb is created- be sure not to over process into a paste. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
2. To make the pasta sauce, heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and reduce heat to low.
3. Stir in garlic cloves, then stir in crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Allow to simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, until heated through and fragrant.
4. Add heated tomato sauce, avocado, and nutritional yeast to a blender and blend until a smooth, creamy sauce is achieved. Season with salt and pepper, blend again, then serve.