Cozy and simple baked maple apple cinnamon oatmeal! The perfect healthy, yet sweet, breakfast!
For the apples:
- 1 apple, sliced into 1/4″ thick slices, then sliced in half again width-wise (option to peel the apple)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tbsp butter (sub coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For the oatmeal bake:
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup almond or sunflower butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk of choice
For the maple cream frosting:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (*see note)
- 5 tbsp filtered water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8 baking dish with butte or coconut oil.
- To prepare the apples and nuts, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add the butter. Once melted, stir in the apples, nuts, and cinnamon. Sauté for 3 minutes, then stir in maple syrup and sauté for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together apple sauce, almond butter, vanilla, maple syrup, egg, and almond milk until very smooth. Stir in with dry ingredients until everything is well combined.
- Stir in the apple/nut mixture, then spread batter out into the prepared 8×8 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While oatmeal is baking, prepare the maple cashew cream cheese frosting. Add the drained and rinsed cashews with all other ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until a very smooth frosting forms.
- Allow oatmeal bake to cool slightly before frosting and serving (I like to frost with about half of the frosting, then save the other half for serving). Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
*Cashews do not need to be soaked as long as you have a high speed blender. If your blender is not high speed, I recommend soaking the cashews for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
FANTASTIC! Apples and cinnamon are one of my favorite combinations and this recipe combines them so well. I love baked oatmeal, but I can rarely make it since most recipes involve bananas and I hate bananas. I made this one this morning for breakfast and honestly debated eating it for lunch and dinner too!!!
Okay, I’ve never made any frosting out of cashews but WOW! What a game-changer!! It’s like a cinnamon roll oatmeal bake. It is AMAZING!
THE BEST OATMEAL RECIPE EVER. Seriously this is so good, I think I’ve made it at least 5 times now. It’s so perfect and healthy and tastes great reheated so I can make it on Sunday and eat it the whole week for breakfast.
No way! This is a day maker- so happy you love it girl! xo
Amazing! I made it for my family and everyone loved it!
SO happy! I need to make this one again ASAP. Thank you Izzy!!
SO GOOD! I made this for my family and everyone loved it. such a warm and cozy breakfast. the cashew frosting is a game changer! we had some left over, so I’ve been using the rest to put on top of cinnamon apple muffins!
p.s. i used a flax egg instead and it turned out perfect 🙂
Sososo good!! It seems so simple… apples, cinnamon, maple syrup and oats. But this recipe tastes like nothing ive had before!!! I love texture of the bake, its structured but soft. And the cashew frosting is amazing!
The best baked oatmeal!!! The texture on this is perfect. I didn’t have applesauce so I subbed a mashed banana and it still turned out great! I’m convinced Mia can do no wrong – yet another amazing recipe! This is the perfect cozy breakfast to enjoy while being healthy and nutritious. Thanks again Mia!
So good! I’ve made this several times and it’s amazing!
Thank you so much Allison!! 🙂
I’m going to try this with pear as I can’t eat apples, I’m sure it will still be as nice 🙂
For the applesauce, do you know a substitute I could use? Thank you
Does it require refrigeration even if it’s not frosted? I made it tonight and want to serve it for breakfast tomorrow morning! Btw the whole house smells heavenly!