Cozy and simple baked maple apple cinnamon oatmeal! The perfect healthy, yet sweet, breakfast!
For the apples:
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced into 1/4” thick slices, then sliced in half again width-wise
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 tsp butter (sub coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For the oatmeal bake:
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup almond or sunflower butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or plain)
For the maple cream frosting:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained+rinsed
- 5 tbsp filtered water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8 baking dish with butte or coconut oil.
- To prepare the apples and nuts, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add the butter. Once melted, stir in the apples, nuts, and cinnamon. Sauté for 3 minutes, then stir in maple syrup and sauté for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together apple sauce, almond butter, vanilla, maple syrup, egg, and almond milk until very smooth. Stir in with dry ingredients until everything is well combined.
- Stir in the apple/nut mixture, then spread batter out into the prepared 8×8 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While oatmeal is baking, prepare the maple cashew cream cheese frosting. Add the drained and rinsed cashews with all other ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until a very smooth frosting forms.
- Allow oatmeal bake to cool slightly before frosting and serving.