A pasta bake made with half spaghetti squash, half noodles for a lightened up dinner for 2! Not much better than a warm, cozy pasta bake.
This is one of our go-to weeknight dinners that I always just throw together. It’s so simple and SO delicious I wanted to make it into an actual recipe for you guys! It serves 2-3, making the perfect weeknight dinner to share.
Pro tip: bake a big squash on Sunday, shred it up, and store it in the fridge to make easy throw-together meals like this. We make spaghetti squash 1-2 times per week. It’s the best!
How do you make your spaghetti squash?
Here is my easy, fool-proof method that results in a perfectly baked spaghetti squash every time! Preheat your oven to 460°F. Slice your spaghetti squash in half length-wise, spray each half with avocado oil spray, and season with salt and pepper. Lay the spaghetti squash on a baking tray skin side DOWN. Bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on size of your squash) until tender enough to shred with a fork.
The pasta bake itself is loaded with spinach, chicken sausage, marinara sauce, and melty mozzarella. When choosing dairy, I prefer to stick with grass fed dairy sources. I also go for organic chicken sausage.
If you want to keep this vegetarian, skip the chicken sausage and use a chickpea or lentil noodle for a protein boost!
If you have been following me for awhile, you know my love for pasta runs deep! I love finding ways to make a pasta dish more filling, satisfying, and nutrient-dense. This does just that, with the extra protein and veggies. So delish, and so simple!
Easy healthy pasta bake for 2!
- 2 oz penne pasta (about 3/4 cup cooked), cooked according to box
- 2 precooked chicken sausages, quartered
- 1 cup chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup precooked spaghetti squash (read above for directions)
- ~1/2 jar marinara sauce
- Sea salt + pepper, to taste
- 5–6 thin slices of fresh mozzarella
- Oil for the pan
- Cook pasta according to box directions, strain and set aside.
- Lightly grease the pot the pasta was cooking in, then sauté chicken sausage until slightly crispy.
- Reduce heat to low then stir in spinach and allow to thaw (if frozen). Turn off heat and stir in spaghetti squash, season with salt + pepper.
- Turn off heat and stir in marinara sauce and pasta. Spread mixture out in a small oval baking dish (any small baking dish will work).
- Top with mozzarella slices, then broil on high for about 10 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn!