Truly one of the best dinners I have had in awhile! These zucchini lasagna roll ups are light yet comforting, combine some of the best flavors (hi tomato sauce and cheese, I love you), and are such a fun take on dinner!
I could not wait to get this amazing recipe on the blog for you all!
These zucchini roll ups are a grain free, fun spin on classic lasagna noodles. Using zucchini not only keeps this dish gluten/grain free, but it adds an extra green veggie to your meal. Such a win!
I know you guys are absolutely going to love this cozy, flavorful dish!
I used an almond milk ricotta here, but you can also use my cashew ricotta recipe or classic ricotta! Whatever works for you 🙂
We enjoyed this two different ways- once with a big salad, and then another time with pasta and marinara on the side. Both ways were amazing! It depends if you’re looking for a less starchy meal, or craving all the cozy carbs.
The combination of creamy ricotta, savory tomato sauce, and melty parmesan is pure perfection. I love these with ground beef, but you can sub ground turkey or chicken, or leave the meat out entirely for a vegetarian option!
I definitely see myself making this dish often while zucchini is so abundant right now…but I see myself making these beyond zucchini season too lol. I try my best to eat seasonally, but there are just some things I can’t pass up out of season! Plus, this dish is too comforting to not eat in the colder months. I just love it!
To make the zucchini “noodles” you’re going to need a mandoline to cut 1/4″ thick pieces. I tried a few with a knife, but wasn’t very successful in getting uniform sizes. But, if you have great knife skills you might be able to swing it!
I honestly found assembling these to be pretty mindless and therapeutic! If you’re serving a bigger group, you can totally double this and use a bigger baking dish. Once you get in the swing of it, assembling is pretty quick and shouldn’t take you too long to make a double batch!
I am so excited to hear what you think of these delicious zucchini lasagna roll ups! Enjoy friends! xoPrint
Grain free, low carb zucchini lasagna roll ups. Both a vegetarian and a meat option!
- 2 large zucchinis, cut with a mandoline into long 1/4″ thick pieces
- Oil spray
- 1 lb grass fed beef (optional for vegetarian; see note to sub turkey or chicken*)
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 10 oz ricotta (dairy free or regular)
- 1 + 1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the zucchini slices flat on the baking sheet and season with salt and light spray with avocado oil. Bake for 12 minutes then set aside to cool.
- While zucchini is cooling, cook the beef in a pan over medium heat with salt, pepper, italian seasoning, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. U se a spoon to break up the meat and cook until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup of marinara in a 8″ pie dish or 8×8″ baking dish (if doubling, use a 9×13″ baking dish).
- To assemble the roll ups, spread 1-2 tbsp of ricotta on each zucchini piece, then spread about 1 tbsp marinara and about 1 tbsp of the beef.
- Carefully roll up each zucchini “noodle” and set in baking dish on top of marinara. Press each roll up against the other to help keep the roll up closed.
- Pour any remaining marinara over the top then sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melty and slightly browned. Serve and enjoy!
*If subbing ground chicken or turkey, be sure to add a little oil to the pan before cooking to avoid sticking.