Say hi to your new meal prep staple! This eggplant and zucchini sauce is super simple, and packed with nutrients.
One of my favorite things to create is easy meal prep sides that can go with multiple meals throughout the week. One of those dishes that you can still be versatile with, but takes a lot of the thinking and preparation out of meal time. I’ve been loving my anti-inflammatory creamy turmeric rice for this purpose, and it inspired me to make another simple side!
I know that eggplant and zucchini aren’t in season right now…but there just a couple of those veggies that I honestly eat year round. They’re easy to chop/prep, and you can use them in so many different ways. So while I love to eat with the season, I definitely make some exceptions 🙂
The eggplant and zucchini gets simmered in tomatoes and veggie broth for loads of flavor. The chickpeas are option in this dish, but I love them for extra fiber and protein!
There is nothing better than a recipe with just a handful of ingredients! I wanted to make this a simple, yet nutrient-dense side that you could have in your back pocket for busy weeks when you need quick meals. Often times, “quick meals” means resorting to take out– but a little bit of prep so that you can rely on meals at home will go a long way in your health. I promise!
You can use this dish in so many ways. Some of my favorites:
- With eggs
- As a pasta sauce with brown rice or quinoa pasta
- With salmon and spinach
- Over sourdough toast
- Over rice or quinoa
The list goes on! I’m excited to see what creative ways you guys use this meal prep staple.
Be sure to tag me on Instagram so that I can see how you are enjoying this recipe! xxPrint
Simple and versatile eggplant and zucchini tomato sauce.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 of a yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can of whole peeled tomatoes with their juice, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Optional: 1 (15.5 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Prepare the vegetables. For the tomatoes, you can use clean hands to break apart the tomatoes, or remove them from their juice and roughly chop with a knife (don’t discard the juice!).
- Head a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then stir in the onion and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the eggplant and zucchini. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and stir in the tomatoes and their juice, vegetable broth, seasonings, and chickpeas (optional).
- Allow to simmer for 25 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Serve with your favorite protein, grains, and/or veggies.