Paleo egg roll in a bowl…a healthy twist on the tried and true take out classic!
Happy weekend everyone! I hope you guys had the best Thanksgiving! We spent the day at my aunt’s house in Wisconsin and it was so nice. Then yesterday we went to pick up a Christmas tree! I couldn’t wait any longer– this is my favorite time of year!! I’ve also been working away at my gift guides for this year’s holidays. They will be coming to your inbox if you’re subscribed to my newsletter! If you aren’t subscribed yet and want the gift guides, scroll to the bottom of this post to subscribe!
Back to this egg roll in a bowl. I’m finally getting this recipe back up on the blog from my old site! I know this has been a meal prep staple for so many of you– I can’t believe it wasn’t on my site yet! I’m slowly but surely catching up to transferring all of my recipes over from my site. Appreciate your patience 🙂
As you guys probably know about me, I love a big bowl of comfort food for dinner over something like a salad any day. This recipe is full of color, flavor, and nutrients. Bonus points, it’s incredibly easy to make!
It’s. So. GOOD!!
Can I make it vegan?
Yes! This dish is versatile in the sense that you can sub any whatever protein you like. Tofu for vegan, shrimp for pescatarian, and ground beef or chicken for an animal protein. It goes so well with any of these, and the protein gets cooked up in the sauces left behind from the veggies so it will pick up lots of flavor!
This dish holds up super well for meal prep, too. You can whip it up quickly for dinner one night, and have lunch or dinners prepped for the next few days (depending on how many you’re feeding). I absolutely love this recipe, and I know you guys will too!
Easy, nutrient-dense, and so so delicious. The ideal weeknight meal.
Paleo egg roll in a bowl. Packed with nutrients, protein, and flavor!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 head of cabbage, sliced into strips
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb ground organic beef, turkey, or chicken (can sub shrimp, grilled chicken, tofu, etc.)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- Sea salt + pepper, to taste
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat a large skillet (make sure it’s big enough for the whole head of cabbage!) over medium heat and add avocado oil.
- Once hot, add cabbage and stir to coat in oil.
- Stir in carrots, and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, until veggies are slightly softened. Stir frequently.
- Add garlic, coconut aminos, sesame oil, and stir. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft. Remove from pan and set aside in a large bowl(try to leave any left over sauce/oils behind to flavor your protein).
- Add ground meat to the same pan, season with salt and pepper, and allow to cook until no longer pink. If using another protein, cook however you like (you may need to add a bit of oil to the pan if protein is sticking).
- Strain the meat, then add to the bowl with the veggies. Stir, add green onions, enjoy!