Easy gluten free and nut free cheddar jalapeño bagels! No yeast!
- 1 + 3/4 cup gluten free flour (I recommend this or this one)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups plain Greek-style yogurt*
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup shredded white or orange cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup-1/2 cup pickled jalapeños, roughly chopped
- 1 egg whisked (for an egg wash)
- Whisk egg for egg wash and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, flax seed, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the yogurt, 1 tbsp of water, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and the diced jalapeños to the flour mixture, then fold in until combined. Be patient- this may take a few minutes. It’s ok if it does not form a ball of dough; it just needs to be mostly all combined, but you can finish working the flour into the dough in the next step.
- Flour a clean work surface, and turn dough mixture out onto floured surface. Use your hands to need and roll the dough into a ball- sprinkle a little flour as needed if the dough sticks at all to your hands or your work surface.
- Divide the dough into 6 or 7 equal portions. (6 portions will yield larger bagels)
- Roll each portion out into a log shape about 5″ long, then connect each end of the log to form a bagel.
- Lay each bagel onto your lined baking sheet about 2″ apart. Brush the tops of the bagels with your egg wash, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese Bake for 22-25 minutes, until slightly golden. Bagels are best served toasted. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days, then in the freezer after that.
*Make sure your yogurt is Greek-style. Regular yogurt will be too thin and runny to make the dough.