The creamy roasted red pepper sauce tasted just like the real deal, with a healthy twist on the ingredients. With ingredients like avocado, whole-roasted red peppers, and roasted garlic, this sauce is packed with flavor. This roasted red pepper pasta is the perfect plant-based meal- even meat lovers will swoon over this one!
All you need for this drool-worthy pasta sauce is:
- Red peppers
- Jarred tomato sauce
- Nutritional yeast
- Almond milk
- Olive oil
- Salt + pepper
That’s it! It is so simple and packed with real, wholesome ingredients.
The nutritional yeast is an inactive form of yeast that lends a “cheesy” flavor without dairy. It also provided B vitamins and a small boost of protein. You can typically find this in the baking aisle or the health food aisle at your local grocery store.
Once the peppers are roasted and the garlic and onions have been cooked, all that is left to do is blend, blend, blend in your Vitamix until a smooth and creamy sauce is formed!
For the pasta, I love to use a lentil or chickpea-based noodle. This adds a good serving of plant-based protein to the meal. Feel free to add your own tweaks once the sauce and noodles come together! I like to add baby spinach, roasted broccoli and/or mushrooms, or roasted chicken! The possibilities are really endless- the sauce makes for the perfect base to get creative with.
I hope you enjoy this healthy spin on roasted red pepper sauce! I love to make big batches of sauces for the week in my Explorian Vitamix for healthy meals throughout the week- and this has certainly become a new favorite! Mangia!Print
A creamy delicious pasta sauce you would never know is vegan!
- 8 oz package of your favorite pasta)
- 2 red bell peppers OR jarred roasted red peppers (equivalent of about 2 peppers)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any dairy free milk)
- 3 tbsp jarred marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: dash of red pepper flakes
- *If using jarred peppers, skip this step.* If roasting your own peppers: preheat oven to 500°F. Place bell peppers on baking tray, and roast for 25 minutes, until charred/blackened. Remove peppers from oven, then wrap in foil for 10 minutes to steam. Peel skin off, and remove stems and seeds from the peppers.
- Heat a skillet over medium. Once hot, add olive oil; sauté garlic and onions until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently so that garlic doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and add onions/garlic and olive oil from the pan to a blender along with the peppers and all other ingredients. Blend until a smooth sauce forms.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained, add sauce and noodles to a skillet to gently reheat. Serve and enjoy!