Gluten free spaghetti squash boats with meatballs, marinara, and melty cheese!
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half and seeds removed*
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (or cheese of choice)
For the meatballs**:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp almond flour (can sub with breadcrumbs)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice your squash in half length-wise. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay skin side up on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix all meatball ingredients together until well-combined. Form into about 20 small meatballs and line them up on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place both the squash as well as the meatballs into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from oven and set aside.
- Bump heat up to 425°F and continue baking the squash until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash into spaghetti-like strings. Mix in about 1/2 cup marinara to each half of the squash, top with meatballs (you will have some leftover), and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
*Tip: microwave you squash for a few minutes to make it easier to slice into.
**You will only use about half of the meatballs. Feel free to save for later in the week, or double the rest of the recipe to make 2 extra spaghetti squash boats!