Grain free chicken ‘tortilla’ soup- sans the tortillas! But you know I’m dipping some tortilla chips in this soup 😉
This soup is creamy, packs a ton of flavor and nutrients, and it’s SO easy! Crockpot recipes really are the best- it take’s most of the thinking and labor out of cooking! I now have instructions for both a crockpot and for an Instant Pot for this recipe. I just recently got an Instant Pot and I am in shock at how fast it cooks things!! While there is nothing wrong with a good old crockpot, I can make this same recipe in 15 minutes in the Instant Pot which is pretty epic. The Instant Pot I have an all of my other favorite kitchen tools are linked in my kitchen essentials blog post.
Back to the soup!
It’s such a cozy and satisfying soup for any time of year if you ask me! The creaminess comes from coconut milk- which is mostly masked by the spices and lime. You could easily sub some cashew cream for this too.
The best part of tortilla soup is all the toppings! Some of my favorites:
- Siete tortilla chips
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Scallions or cilantro
- Extra lime
- Extra jalapeños
- Dollop of plain greek yogurt
I highly recommend the step where to blend some of the soup up after taking the chicken out. It gives it that extra smooth, creamy texture. I use an immersion blender for this, but you can scoop it into a regular blender.
I really love this recipe for busy week lunches or to throw together after a jam packed day, and I think you will too.
Creamy, flavorful paleo tortilla less soup. Loaded with chicken and veggies, and made with super simple ingredients!
- olive oil (for Instant Pot recipe)
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 large zucchini, diced (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced and seeds removed
- 2 (10 oz) cans of diced tomatoes with jalapeño and cilantro
- 1.5 lb of boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to tase
- 1 –14 oz can of full fat coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional: large handful of fresh cilantro, cayenne pepper to taste for more spice
- Add the chicken breasts to a crockpot and season with the salt. Add all other ingredients BESIDES coconut milk, cilantro, and lime juice on top of chicken breasts.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then remove chicken and shred it with 2 forks.
- Stir in coconut milk and lime juice. Optional: use an immersion blender to blend up some of the soup. Add chicken back to the soup and stir. Add fresh cilantro (optional) and serve!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Turn on the sauté setting of the Instant Pot, add a splash of oil and stir in the onion and garlic. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in all other ingredients BESIDES coconut milk, lime juice, and cilantro. Give everything a good stir.
- Set to pressure cook on high for 14 minutes. Once 14 minutes is up, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes by keeping the Instant Pot on “keep warm” setting, then manually release remaining pressure.
- Open the lid carefully and remove chicken and shred with 2 forks, set aside. Stir in coconut milk and lime juice. Optional but recommended: use an immersion blender or transfer some of the soup to a regular blender to blend some of the soup. Stir chicken back in, top with cilantro (optional), and serve.