Dairy free, grain free broccoli and sweet potato breakfast biscuits!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 14 oz ground chicken breakfast sausage (NOT sausage links- this will be raw and ground like when you buy ground turkey or chicken)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup of broccoli, diced into tiny pieces
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato (I shred mine on a box grater)
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup fine almond flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Small handful of chives (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat a large pan over medium heat, add avocado oil. Once hot, stir in chicken sausage, broccoli, and onion.
3. Cook, stirring frequently and breaking up sausage for 7 minutes. Set aside to cool then stir in the shredded sweet potato and spinach (do not return to heat).
4. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then stir in almond flour, baking powder, seasonings, and veggie/chicken sausage mixture. Stir until well combined. The better will be wet- that’s ok!
6. Scoop out mixture onto parchment paper (I use a large cookie scoop here since the batter is wet), into 12 biscuits. Gently shape each biscuit with hands after scooping out the dough.
7. Bake for 14-16 minutes, until set and cooked through. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Made it with sweet Italian turkey sausage and it was perfect for brunch! Will definitely make again! Thanks!
Please take this not in a negative manner….but why use almond flour? What difference does it provide versus AP flour? Allergic to almonds so I’m just wondering how to make the substitution or what is “missing” if almond flour isn’t used. Again, not meaning it in a negative way! Your recipes are AMAZING and I want to keep making them -but have to make some subs here and there.
Hi! So I use almond flour in recipes as a paleo/gluten free option 🙂 My body responds better to it personally! Some people have made these with regular flour and have had success, I haven’t tried it personally though! xo
Hi! I noticed it says baking powder twice. Is one supposed to be baking soda? Thanks!
Ah thank you so much for that catch Zoe! I just fixed it! xo
These are so great! Have you been able to freeze them for meal prep?
10/10 would recommend this for an easy quick breakfast!! So yummy and so healthy. I have been making these on Sundays for the last few weeks so that I would have easy already prepared and healthy breakfasts!
A favorite recipe. I cook A LOT ! These are on constant rotation . I usually make a double batch and freeze half. I don’t even unthaw them just pop in the microwave covered with a paper towel. Ive made these also with random veggies i needed to use up instead of broccoli – cauliflower, red pepper, carrots and they were still great. I follow the recipe except for the occasional veggie swap . love
These are wonderful! I was successful using 1/2 bread flour, 1/2 rye, 1 garlic clove, & Trader Joes spicy jalapeño chicken sausage diced! Thanks for a great recipe!