My new favorite gluten free and vegan treat! These peanut butter and chocolate rice crispy treats taste just like puppy chow (a.k.a. muddy buddies, a.k.a. the best treat ever)!
I am FINALLY feeling like a more productive human since getting back from the honeymoon. I was not expecting it to take this long to adjust, but I’m so happy to be back hustling around the kitchen and cranking new recipes out. You guys know I love having a good treat around! Lately my obsession has been my mini vegan turtles (linked here), but these rice crispy treats have officially stolen my heart.
I made 2 batches of these before getting them up on the blog, and they were gone within 2 days. SO GOOD. The flavor, texture, and ingredients are on point. They are simple, only lightly sweetened with maple syrup, and totally vegan and gluten free.
The crunchy rice crispy cereal paired with the creamy peanut butter and melty chocolate is unbelievably good. I promise these will be your new favorite dessert if you’re hooked on the peanut butter and chocolate combo like I am!
These are a no-bake treat, and they take about 15 minutes to make. So simple yet so delish.
I find my brown rice cereal for these at Whole Foods, but check your local grocery story! The ones I buy to have a bit of cane sugar added, but it’s a super small amount so I don’t worry about it! 🙂
These are truly the perfect treat to bring to any party or friends night. Everyone will love them and you can easily whip them up without needing much time! Just be sure to give them enough time to chill in order to slice them up.
I added the sprinkles in for fun- you definitely don’t need them 🙂 For a nut free version, try using sunflower butter (though it won’t have that same puppy chow taste).
If you try these, be sure to leave a rating and comment below! It helps others to find my recipes. You guys are truly the best! xoxo
The best vegan and gluten free chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats!
- 3 cups brown rice crispy cereal (NOT puffed rice!)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped chocolate (or sub chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup sprinkles (totally optional!)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper (it helps to lightly grease the pan to get the parchment to stick).
- In a large bow, mix together the rice cereal, chopped chocolate, and sprinkles (if using).
- On the stove top in a small pot, gently heat the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and sea salt until everything is smooth and well combined. Do not overheat- it should only take 1-2 minutes.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over the rice cereal mixture and gently stir to get everything well coated.
- Add mixture to the parchment-lined baking dish. Use the bottom of a jar or glass to press the mixture evenly into the baking dish until flat. Chill in refrigerator for 40 minutes before slicing.