Healthy frozen banana splits made with an easy vegan and paleo hot fudge sauce, frozen bananas, and any toppings you love (sprinkles and chopped hazelnuts for me)! These are a healthy spin on an old school banana split, made with simple and wholesome ingredients. They’re completely vegan and gluten free (just sub agave for the honey if needed!), and SO easy to make!
I am so in love with this new staple healthy dessert. Our freezer is currently stocked with these little frozen banana splits, and we’ve been having some every night after dinner! Cozied up on the couch watching Top Chef with a healthy banana split…yes please!!
These will satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthier, more wholesome way. I swear frozen bananas taste just like ice cream- they’re SO good when you want something healthy but sweet! Paired with some homemade hot fudge, sprinkles, chopped nuts, and whipped cream if you’re feeling it. My idea of heaven!
This recipe uses my tried and true homemade hot fudge. It’s honestly mind blowing how good it is- and how easy it is to make!!
The fudge is made with:
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Honey (or agave)
- Cocoa powder
- Almond milk
- Arrowroot starch
- Sea salt
- Chocolate chips
The best part? You’ll have some extra fudge on hand to use however you want! Think sundaes, in your coffee for a homemade mocha, or drizzled on some strawberries. Plus, of course, these amazing banana splits whenever you’re in the mood! You can just pop some sliced bananas in the freezer before dinner, and by the time you’re ready for the dessert you’ll be set!
As always, I recommend keeping the recipe as is to get the same results! I always list any substitutes that I’ve tested with success in the recipe, so if it’s not listed I can’t promise the result you will get!
I was so excited to share this recipe with you all. I am so passionate about finding simple ways to truly enjoy healthy eating, to make healthier spins on childhood classics, and getting creative in the kitchen while still keeping things quick and easy. I know you guys are going to love this healthier take on banana splits!
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to let me know by leaving a rating and comment below! It means so much to me! I also love seeing your creations on Instagram, so be sure to give me a tag on there so I can see 🙂
Easy and healthy frozen banana splits made with a vegan and paleo hot fudge sauce!
For the banana splits
- Bananas, sliced in half length-wise
- Hot fudge sauce (recipe below)
- Chopped peanuts or hazelnuts
For the hot fudge
- 5 tbsp coconut oil (can sub butter if dairy free isn’t needed)
- 1/3 cup honey (sub agave for vegan)
- 1/3 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (more if needed, see directions)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch (*see note for subs)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar
- Carefully slice your bananas and set in the freezer on a plate or parchment-lined baking sheet to freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make your hot fudge sauce. Combine all ingredients besides the chocolate chips in a sauce pan over medium heat. Give everything a good stir, then allow to come to a boil. Once bubbling, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes to thicken; be sure to whisk occasionally to avoid burning.
- Remove from heat after 5 minutes, then whisk in chocolate chips until a smooth, thick sauce forms. If fudge seems too thick, add more almond milk 1 tbsp at a time.
- Transfer fudge to jars or any storage container to allow to cool, then serve on top of the frozen bananas with any other toppings of choice. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Gently reheat leftovers in the microwave, or on the stovetop. Be careful not to burn when reheating.
*Tapioca starch will NOT work for this recipe. Corn starch will work, but will yield a slightly thicker fudge sauce than the arrowroot starch.