The absolute best gluten free, paleo, dairy free strawberry shortcake you could ever imagine! This light, fluffy, summery dessert is like sunshine on a plate. Made with healthier ingredients, and so simple to make!
I have been so excited to share this recipe with you guys! It truly turned out exactly how I wanted it. This healthier strawberry shortcake will give you an instant feeling of nostalgia if you were like me and always ate this treat growing up!
The cake base is made with coconut flour, for a nut free paleo treat! The texture is spot on, and you can whip the batter up in a bout 10 minutes.
The juicy strawberries get prepped with monk fruit powdered sugar for a lower sugar option (although, you can sub regular powdered sugar if that’s what you have!). They get poured on top of the fluffy cool whip and cake for a match made in heaven. I truly forgot how GOOD strawberry shortcake is!
I have an obsession with coconut cool whip paired with fruit lately, so I knew I needed to make a recipe using the combo. It’s the best summer pair, I swear!
I can’t wait for you guys to make this healthier strawberry shortcake. I think you will be just as obsessed as I am!
I have not tried this cake with any other flours, and I don’t recommend making any substitutes for best results! One sub you can make is using any berries you have on hand 🙂 This would be so good with blueberries, blackberries, or all of the above!
If you make this treat, please let me know below by leaving a rating and review! And, as always, tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations!! xoPrint
Healthier gluten free and dairy free strawberry shortcake. Made with a coconut flour cake base and refined sugar free!
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter (or sub vegan butter or coconut oil), melted and cooled
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk of choice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the strawberries:
- 1 lb strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup monk fruit powdered sugar*
Dairy free cool whip for topping, I like this one.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bow, whisk together the butter or coconut oil, eggs, honey, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Pour in the coconut flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Use a whisk to combine, getting as many lumps out as possible (a few lumps are ok; batter will be wet!)
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare the strawberries. Mix the sliced berries with the powdered monk fruit in a bowl. Set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes while juices release.
- Allow cake to cool completely before slicing and serving with prepared strawberries and cool whip. Store leftover cake on the counter in an airtight container for up t 3 days; don’t add cool whip until ready to serve!
*You can sub regular powdered sugar, but you may need another 1 or 2 tbsp for the same sweetness.