The best gluten free and dairy free matcha cookies with almond extract for the best flavor!
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend already contains it)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 + 1/2 tsp matcha powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (can sub regular sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (sub vegan butter or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 2 tbsp almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Vanilla frosting for topping (I made a powdered sugar glaze, see note*)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, matcha, and sea salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg with the coconut sugar, melted butter, milk of choice, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Be patient! This will at first be a dry and crumbly dough, but after a minute or so everything should be well enough combined to form into a ball of dough.
- Turn the dough out between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Roll out into about 1/4″ thick. (use a roller, bottle of wine, jar of sauce, whatever you have!)
- Use cookie cutters or anything round (I used a wine glass with a smaller rim) to cut out about 24-28 cookies. Repeat the roll out process with any scraps of dough until all dough is used up.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
*For a powdered sugar glaze, I combined 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 tbsp of oat milk.