Gluten free and refined sugar free carrot cake with the easiest cream cheese frosting!
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (or sub coconut oil) ⠀
- 2 large eggs ⠀
- 1/3 cup maple syrup ⠀
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar ⠀
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt (can sub dairy free yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 + 1/3 cup fine almond flour
- 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp oat flour ⠀
- 1/3 cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 + 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ⠀
- 3/4 tsp sea salt ⠀
- 1 tsp baking soda ⠀
- Optional add ins: raisins, pecans
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup plain greek style yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- Small splash of vanilla extract
- Cinnamon and coconut sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8in square baking dish (or a standard 9in cake pan) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, eggs, maple syrup, coconut sugar, yogurt, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the shredded carrots.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, and stir until a smooth batter forms. If adding, fold in your pecans and/or raisins here.
- Pour the batter into your parchment-lined baking dish and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (using a round cake pan will need more bake time). Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then carefully lift by the parchment paper to transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing. Don’t skip this cooling process, or your cake will not hold together well or be cooked all the way in the center!
- While cake is cooling, whisk the frosting ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. If frosting is a bit too thin, add more yogurt as needed. Once cake is cooled, spread frosting on top and sprinkle with cinnamon and coconut sugar (optional). Slice into 12 squares. Once frosted, store leftovers in the refrigerator (or leave unfrosted on the counter).
* I have not tested this with any flour substitutes! I cannot guarantee what results you will get if you do!