The BEST gluten free carrot cake. It’s moist, fluffy, and so delicious. With the easiest greek yogurt cream cheese frosting.
The perfect Spring/Easter (or anytime!!) dessert. I think this is definitely one of my top favorite recipes I have ever made. The texture and flavor are perfect, and it’s so easy!
Can’t wait to hear what you guys think 🙂 Enjoy!!Print
Gluten free and refined sugar free carrot cake with the easiest cream cheese frosting!
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (or sub vegan butter- you want the butter flavor for this one so I don’t recommend coconut oil!) ⠀
- 2 eggs ⠀
- 1/3 cup maple syrup ⠀
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar ⠀
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (can sub dairy free yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 + 1/3 cup fine almond flour*
- 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp oat flour* ⠀
- 1/3 cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 + 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ⠀
- 3/4 tsp sea salt ⠀
- 1 tsp baking soda ⠀
- Optional add ins: raisins, pecans
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- Small splash of vanilla extract
- Cinnamon and coconut sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8in square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, eggs, maple syrup, coconut sugar, yogurt, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the shredded carrots.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, and stir until a smooth batter forms.⠀
- Pour the batter into 8×8 baking dish and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing. Don’t skip this cooling process, or your cake will not hold together well.
- While cake is cooling, whisk the frosting ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Once cake is cooled, spread frosting on top and sprinkle with cinnamon and coconut sugar (optional). Slice into 12 squares. Once frosted, store leftovers in the refrigerator (or leave unfrosted on the counter).
* I have not tested this with any flour substitutes! I cannot guarantee what results you will get if you do!