The BEST vegan meatballs ever!! These vegan, soy free, gluten free, and super simple meatballs are about to take your plant-based pasta nights to the absolute next level.
From the taste to the texture, this vegan spin on classic Italian meatballs is so on point!
Not only are these meatballs easy to make (it’s a quick process in the food processor!), but they are packed with so many amazing nutrients. The hemp seeds and walnuts provide plant based protein sources, as well as some good fiber and healthy fats that also help to keep us full. The chickpeas provide plant based protein and fiber, as well!
I also use some toasted sourdough bread (mine is gluten free) in place of bread crumbs. Why? I love the texture it gives, but I also find most gluten free bread crumbs in stores to have some not so great ingredients. Using my own bread here keeps the additives to a minimum and adds a great touch to the final product!
These are a well-rounded, minimally processed vegan option for your spaghetti and meatball cravings :)! I used a gluten free fettuccine as seen in these photos, but these meatballs will be amazing with any pasta you love or have on hand.
I bet these would be absolutely perfect with the best ever creamy vegan pasta sauce from the blog. A follower favorite, and a staple in my kitchen! Be sure to let me know how you serve the meatballs- I love hearing what you guys whip up in the kitchen, and I know it’s so helpful to other readers!
Add your favorite sauce, some vegan parmesan, and you’re set! A simple, nourishing, and filling meal. Plus, the ultimate comfort food!
Once you sauté your onion and garlic, you really just have to toss everything into your food processor and you’re good to go for a quick bake! I use my Vitamix food processor attachment, but any basic food processor will work since the ingredients used in the meatballs will blend up pretty easily! However, I do not recommend using a blender for these- for the best texture and results I definitely recommend sticking with a food processor!
For best results, I also recommend keeping the recipe as written! I have not tested these any other way, so I’m not sure what your results will be if changes are made to the ingredients.
If you make these vegan meatballs, tag me on Instagram so that I can see! Also, leaving a rating and review means so much to me! 🙂 Enjoy!Print
The best vegan and gluten free meatballs! Easy, delicious, and made with simple and nourishing ingredients!
- 1/2 of a yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3–4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1 large piece of sourdough bread, toasted (I use this brand for gluten free)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4–1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4–1/2 tsp fennel seed (optional, but adds great flavor)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add your drained chickpeas to your food processor and pulse for a few seconds. Add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, walnuts, hemp seeds, toasted bread (tear into pieces first), nutritional yeast, tomato paste, coconut aminos, and all seasonings to the food processor.
- Pulse for 30-45 seconds, scraping down the sides once if needed. I recommend leaving a bit of texture and not totally processing into a paste.
- Scoop mixture out into 15 meatballs, rolling in your hands to shape. Spray or brush the tops with a bit of olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy! Leftovers can be store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.