Super simple broccoli parmesan orzo with salmon. Can be made gluten free!
- 4 salmon filets (~4–6 oz each)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 3–4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 cups cooked orzo (for a gluten free version, I like to use this)
- Juice of 1–2 lemons
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Optional: 1/4 cup of white wine
- Cook orzo (or chickpea rice) according to directions on package. (You’ll need 2 cups cooked, which is roughly 1 cup dry orzo). Reserve a bit of the water before draining and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook your salmon. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil or butter. Season the filets with salt and pepper, and sear for 5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 2-4 minutes. Remove salmon from pan and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil or butter to the pan if needed, then sauté onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Stir in broccoli and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes.
- If you are using the wine for the sauce, add wine here and allow to cook down for a 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat, then stir in orzo, lemon juice, heavy cream, parmesan, spinach, and a small splash of the reserved starchy water. Stir until cheese is melted and everything is heated through. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Turn off heat, add salmon back, and cover pan to allow salmon to gently reheat until ready to serve. Add an extra squeeze of lemon juice before serving.