It’s been too long since I’ve made a new simple pasta! This Cajun pasta will quickly become a fave- the flavor is so delicious and the sauce is super creamy! It’s a nutrient dense meal with all the flavor and comfort I love in a dish.
The sauce for this pasta gets its silky-smooth texture from siggi’s plain skyr, or Icelandic yogurt. If you’ve been around here awhile, you know siggi’s is one of my absolute favorite additions to a pasta sauce! Their yogurt is made with only super simple ingredients, it adds a protein boost to the sauce, and creates the best texture. The plain flavor has zero added sugar, making it perfect for a creamy and savory dish. In fact, all of their flavors have more protein than sugar, which can be hard to come by for yogurt. I’m all about it!
This is the type of meal you can quickly whip up after a busy day. It’s ready in about 20 minutes, and it’s made with simple, wholesome ingredients that I always have on hand. I’m all for easy meals right now, since we’re still getting in the swing of our routine since returning from the honeymoon! The last month or so has been such a whirlwind with the holidays and the wedding (in the best way!), so I’m opting for the most simple yet nourishing meals.
The base of the sauce is just fire roasted tomatoes and siggi’s plain yogurt, plus a Cajun seasoning mix that is out of this world good! The pasta itself is loaded up with cauliflower and peppers for that veggie/fiber boost. Plus, I love to use a legume pasta here for a protein source combined with the protein from the yogurt. A legume pasta will also up the fiber content, making this a more filling dish. A perfect meal! Pro tip: serve this pasta over a bed of greens (spinach, kale, or arugula) for that extra nutrient boost.
Be sure to use smoked paprika, rather than regular paprika! This makes a huge difference in the flavor of the sauce, trust me!! You can also make this sauce as spicy as you’d like by playing with the level of cayenne you add. Start with a small dash and adjust form there (if you’re someone who loves a super spicy kick, you can go ahead and start with ¼ tsp of cayenne). The flavor of the Cajun sauce is seriously so delicious; even carnivores will devour this one!
Another bonus to this meal is it makes really great leftovers! So you can prep for work lunches, or quick dinners for the next few days! Just toss in some extra tomato sauce, olive oil, or vegetable broth if you find the sauce needs some extra moisture for leftovers. I love to keep some veggie broth on hand for this exact purpose for leftover pasta dishes!
I can’t wait for you all to try this pasta. Enjoy and be sure to tag me on Instagram if you give this one a go! XxPrint
Creamy Cajun vegetarian pasta!
- 1 (8 oz) box of pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 cup of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 5 green onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (5.3 oz) container of siggi’s plain 0% (a little more than 1/2 cup)
- 3–4 tbsp pasta cooking water
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Dash of cayenne, more to taste
1. Start by making the pasta according to the directions on the box. Be sure to reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water just before straining!
2. While the pasta is boiling, cook the cauliflower and bell pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the avocado oil. Sauté the veggies until soft and slightly browned, 5-7 minutes.
3. While veggies are cooking, combine all of the seasonings in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Once the cauliflower and bell pepper are soft, stir in the green onion, then reduce heat to low. Stir in the tomatoes and the seasoning mix. Allow to heat on low for about 5 minutes, then stir in the yogurt and remove from heat.
5. Return the cooked pasta to it’s pot, and stir in the veggies/sauce. Slowly add the pasta water until desired consistency is reached; taste and adjust cayenne and/or salt levels. Serve and enjoy!