The best gluten free cinnamon rolls, with a vegan option!
For the dough:
- 2 + 1/4 cup gluten free baking flour (**important! see note for brand recommendations!**)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup milk of choice (any dairy free or regular milk will work)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (or sub vegan butter), melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (spreadable, not fully melted)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
For the glaze
- 1 cup powered sugar
- 1–3 tbsp almond milk
- Mix your milk of choice with the apple cider vinegar to make a buttermilk. Set aside for 5 minutes while you get your other ingredients ready.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your melted butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and buttermilk mixture. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix together until well combined- be careful not to over mix. Dough will be sticky, but try to scrape all the dough off the sides of the bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and set the bowl aside for 10 minutes.
- While dough is sitting, preheat oven to 350°F and clean your work station. Grease a baking pan with butter or coconut oil.
- Get your filling ingredients ready- you want your butter to be soft enough to spread but not totally melted.
- Flour a clean work surface and turn your dough out onto it. Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough, then gently knead the dough and work the flour into it until a soft ball of dough forms that is no longer sticky. Lightly flour your counter top again before pressing (or use a rolling pin) the dough into a rectangle about 1/2″ thick.
- Spread butter onto the rectangle of dough, then sprinkle the coconut sugar and then the cinnamon on top of the butter.
- Starting at the long side of the rectangle, carefully and tightly roll the dough. Once it is all the way rolled up, gently patch any tears that may have been created, and seal the seam of the dough tightly. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8-9 cinnamon rolls.
- Place each cinnamon roll about 1/2″ apart on your greased pan. Bake for 22-25 minutes, then allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- While cinnamon rolls are baking, make your glaze by mixing powdered sugar with milk of choice, starting with 1 tbsp at a time until a smooth glaze forms. Pour glaze over your cinnamon rolls and enjoy! Best if made and enjoyed fresh, but can be gently reheated in the oven or microwave.
*I have had the best luck with this brand (this option does have dairy in it). For dairy free, I had success with this option (the rolls did droop a bit in the oven with this flour, so they aren’t as “perfect” in appearance, but they still look good and turned out so delicious!). Both of these options contain xanthan gum, which helps to keep the rolls together!
I do NOT recommend this option for this recipe specifically. I like this flour for other recipes but was not happy with the taste or texture when I used it for these cinnamon rolls.
Please do not try using almond flour, coconut flour, oat flour, etc. for this recipe. The final result will be much different than the original recipe!
Watch my YouTube video here to see how I make these!