Incredibly simple stuffed poblano peppers- the perfect healthy + quick weeknight dinner with a kick!
The kind of dish that you can whip up in no time, and the ultimate comfort food! Stuffed peppers always make me nostalgic- it was definitely one of my mom’s go-to dishes. Anyone else? These are delicious like the classic, but with a spicy kick!
The stuffing is a simple mix of peppers and onions, grass-fed beef, salsa, and some seasonings. You’ll be shocked at how easy it is to make! The stuffing then gets packed into the paper halves (make sure to take out the seeds- these babies are still spicy without the seeds!), and topped with shredded cheese for that melty cheese factor everyone loves!
These are so delicious as is, but if you’re feeling some nacho vibes then go ahead and dip some tortilla chips in for the best combo!
I found some perfect poblano peppers are my local farmer’s market, but you can typically find them in the grocery store! You can also sub regular peppers if you want to ditch the spice– I would guess 3 regular bell peppers would be perfect for the amount of filling this makes!
This makes a great low carb option if that’s what you’re looking for, but you can totally serve some brown rice or quinoa with these for a little something extra! I’m not anti-carbs by any means, but sometimes it’s just nice to have the option 🙂
One of the easiest ways to get some more veggies in your diet is it stuff them with something delicious, am I right?! You won’t even notice you’re devouring an entire pepper because the stuffing is that good.
Plus, these reheat well for the perfect meal prep dish! I made some for dinner and was so happy to have leftovers the next day to just pop in the oven (or microwave) and eat up. Easy peasy! I’m all about simple, filling, and nourishing meals. This one definitely checks all the boxes, and I think you guys are going to love it!
Simple spicy stuffed poblano peppers. The perfect meal prep or weeknight dinner dish!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (can sub 1/2 cup cauliflower rice instead)
- 1 lb grass fed beef (can sub ground chicken or turkey)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 4 poblano peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a baking dish.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat, then add avocado oil, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Allow to cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beef and all seasonings, breaking up beef and cooking until no longer pink.
- Remove from heat and stir in salsa. Set aside.
- Prep peppers by slicing in half lengthwise and removing the seeds (these will still have a good kick without the seeds!).
- Stuff each pepper with the beef and veggie mix. Sprinkle cheese over the top of each stuffed pepper, then bake for 20-25 minutes until peppers are softened and cheese is melty.