Copycat Whole Foods Berry Chantilly Cake! Plus, it can be made gluten free!
For the cake layers:
- 2 boxes of your favorite vanilla cake mix (gluten free, if needed)
- Any ingredients your boxed cake mix calls for (*be sure to get enough ingredients for BOTH boxes; see below for tips)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream, divided
- 1 tbsp almond extract, divided
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint raspberries or blackberries
- 1/2 lb strawberries
For the frosting:
- 8 oz mascarpone (cold)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (cold)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, plus more to taste
- Preheat oven to temperature called for on your boxed mix. Grease 2 round (8″) cake pans well.
- In one large bowl, make one of the boxed mixes following package directions. Add 1/4 cup of the Greek yogurt and 1/2 tbsp of the almond extract to the batter. Repeat in a second bowl for the second box of cake mix.
- Pour each batter into its own cake pan. Bake for time called for on the directions of your box, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes, then carefully invert them onto a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Meanwhile, prep your berries. Wash berries and dry them well. Slice some of the blueberries and raspberries or blackberries in half, and some of the strawberries into quarters. Note: You will likely not use all of your berries. I like to keep a few of the prettiest strawberries whole for topping the cake.
- When cake is completely cool, make your frosting. Whip all ingredients together with a stand mixer or electric hand mixer for about 3-5 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Be patient- it will be thin at first but will eventually thicken up! Taste and mix in more almond extract if desired.
- Add a layer of frosting and berries on top of one of the cakes. Top with the other cake and repeat, and also frosting the sides. Slice and enjoy! Store leftovers or prepared cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
*I recommend swapping the water called for on your boxed mix with milk for better flavor, as well as swapping melted butter for oil!
What brand of boxed cake did you use?
Can i use an almond flour/keto cake mix for this recipe?