Gluten free crunchy cabbage and chicken salad with sesame dressing!
For the salad
- 1/2 Nappa cabbage, shredded
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 of a red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- About 3 cups shredded chicken (I use rotisserie chicken; sub any protein of choice)
For the dressing
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos*
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Handful of diced green onion
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the cassava “wonton” strips
- 1 package of cassava flour tortillas, sliced into small strips
- Oil of choice, for the pan
- Start by prepping all of your vegetables and chicken. Set veggies aside in a large bowl (keep chicken separate until ready to toss and serve).
- Next, whisk all dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Make your cassava wonton strips. Cut the tortillas into long thin strips, then cut strips again 2 or 3 times into shorter strips.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with oil covering the bottom about 1/8″ deep. Once oil is very hot, add in cassava strips a handful at a time. Use a slotted spoon to spread them out to avoid overlapping. Allow to cook for about a minute, until slightly browned and crispy. Carefully remove with your slotted spoon onto paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining strips, and allow to cool before mixing the rest of the salad.
- Toss vegetables, chicken, and peanuts. Add desired amount of dressing and toss again. Serve with wonton strips and enjoy!
*If you sub soy sauce here, be sure to cut back on the salt and note that the dressing will have a less sweet flavor.