Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1–2 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups diced red skin potatoes (~4 potatoes)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz) can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil. Stir in onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Allow to cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in water, veggie broth, diced tomatoes, and all of the seasonings and bay leaves. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the potatoes and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the beans and the lemon juice. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove bay leaves. Use an immersion blender to blend about half of the soup (or transfer half to a blender and return to pot).*
- Turn heat back to low and stir in kale; allow to cook for 5 minutes and serve.
*Note, the blending step is optional but I love the texture it gives the soup!