Super simple vegan and gluten free veggie lasagna with cashew ricotta and zucchini!
FOR THE CASHEW RICOTTA:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in filtered water overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup almond or any dairy free milk
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp honey (agave if you don’t eat honey)
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- ~5 leaves of fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Lasagna
- 1 (9 oz) package of gluten free lasagna noodles, cooked according to directions on box
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large zucchinis, thinly sliced into coins or diced into cubes
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 (25 oz) jars of marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Start by making the cashew ricotta. Allow the cashews to drain well, then add all ingredients to a food processor and process until a ricotta-like texture is formed. this should only take a few minutes tops (you may need to scrape down the sides once or twice). Set aside.
- Next, make the lasagna noodles according to the directions on the box.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in baby spinach until just wilted, then turn off heat and set aside.
- Assemble the lasagna: In a 9x13in casserole dish, spread out 3/4 cup of marinara at the bottom of the dish. Add 4 lasagna noodles (they can overlap), then spread with a layer of cashew ricotta, some of the veggie mixture, and 1 cup of marinara.
- Repeat layers until all noodles are used up, ending with a layer of marinara sauce. Optional: sprinkle top with red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!