Super simple vegan and gluten free green bean casserole!
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (or sub olive oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) package of mushrooms, finely diced (I used baby portabella)
- 3 tbsp gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 + 1/2 cups unsweetened and unflavored dairy free milk (I prefer oat milk for this)
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 lb frozen green beans (can sub drained canned green beans)
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup French fried onions (or sub crushed herb flavored gluten free crackers crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with the olive oil. Once hot, stir in onions and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the diced mushrooms, then allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in the 3 tbsp of flour, then slowly pour in the dairy free milk and vegetable broth while continuously whisking. Allow mixture to come to a boil, then boil for 5-6 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in green beans and season everything well with sea salt. plus a little black pepper (to taste). If green beans are still frozen, allow to heat through before turning off heat.
- Transfer everything to a small baking dish, then cover the top with fried onions or cracker crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes (if using cracker crumbs, broil for the last 1-2 minutes to help them brown, if needed). Serve and enjoy!