Gluten free and dairy free cheesy spaghetti sauce made with cauliflower! Simple, creamy, and nourishing!
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (can sub regular butter or ghee if dairy free isn’t necessary)
- 1/2 of a yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2–3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Plain unsweetened dairy free milk as needed, up to 1/3 cup
- 12–16 oz pasta of choice (I use gluten free brown rice or chickpea spaghetti)
Optional For Topping:
- Vegan parmesan
- Start by making the sauce. Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Once hot, add ghee or butter and stir in onions. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in minced garlic and allow to cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in cauliflower.
- Add the vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and pepper to the pot and give everything a good stir. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until cauliflower is fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to directions on box. Drain and set aside.
- When cauliflower is soft, remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Carefully add everything from the pot for the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix the sauce with the pasta in the pot, adding dairy free milk as needed to thin the sauce to desired consistency, up to 1/3 cup.