Vegan cheesy broccoli with a cracker topping. Gluten free, nut free option, and paleo friendly. A healthier, dairy free spin on the classic velveeta-style cheesy veggies!
- 2 (16 oz each) bags of frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup crushed cracker crumbs (any cracker you like, gluten free if needed)
- Avocado oil spray
For the Cheese Sauce
- 2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened and unflavored oat milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional, for color)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Thaw and drain the broccoli according to directions on bag. Be sure to drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a large pot, cover potatoes and carrots with water by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes until veggies are fork tender. Remove veggies from water with a slotted spoon and blend with all other cheese sauce ingredients until super smooth.
- Lay half of the broccoli out in the greased baking dish, and pour about half of the cheese sauce over the top. Add the rest of the broccoli and repeat with the remaining cheese sauce, then cover the top with your cracker crumbs. Lightly spray the cracker crumbs with avocado oil spray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and cracker topping is slightly browned. You can broil at the end for 1-2 minutes to brown the crackers more if you prefer, but be careful not to burn. Serve and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Leftovers can be reheated at 350°F until bubbly.